Friday, July 10, 2015

The year in which I discover the public library

Long ago, a friend told me I could check out books from the library on a Kindle.  This made no difference to me because I owned a Nook (brick and mortar all the way!) and couldn't figure out how to download from the Free Library of Philadelphia on it.  The upshot?  I bought a Kindle for $50 and have read 100+ books since January.  I have devoured entire series during my 1.5 hour commutes:  Nero Wolfe, Sookie Stackhouse, and the complete works of Diana Wynne Jones.

How could I never have heard of Diana Wynne Jones before?  Howl's Moving Castle sounded vaguely familiar, but for some reason I thought it was written by a Frenchman.  It was a great read (love a snarky fire demon) but A Tale of Time City was one of my favorites.

I never like to read about time travel because it makes my head hurt, but A Tale of Time City takes place in a city removed from time or is stuck in a loop of time.  That didn't make it less confusing for me.  As far as I could tell, events that have happened or will happen create a brief imprint that the city's inhabitants can see.  The more important ones linger and appear at the same time every day becoming tourist traps.  The book created an image that stayed with me:  a dying man climbing the stairs of a tower as the bell tolls and tourists watch.

No comments: